Product Review – KitchenAid Can Opener
I have waited a while before I decided to do this specific product review as I have found with previous can openers they last about 6 months. I have used this opener for a year now and believe I can now truly give my feedback. It has been a long and irritating wait to find a good quality can opener – something so simple in life.
A brief background of my experience with can openers. I have bought the very cheap basically unbranded ones that feel as is they are slowly but painfully screwing into your fingertips with each nob turn to the more expensive ones in your general retail store, they worked wonderfully well initially. After the 6 month mark these can openers turn into can ‘scissors’ where you literally have to ‘cut’ the can open with the opener. I have also tried an electrical can opener, but this did not last long after struggling every second time to get the magnets to ‘capture and hold on’ to the can effectively. It has been a frustrating journey down the pathetic can opening path.
My husband probably got over the constant mess and complaints. He went on a can opener search and bought me the KitchenAid can opener. I will give you a breakdown of the pros and cons:
– Ease of use. It works just like any other can opener, no hassles.
– No pain. The larger nob makes it easy to turn when opening a can and has smooth edges, so no painful edges cutting into your fingertips. It also feels great in your hand, great fit.
– Flexibility. This might sound odd, but it can open all the way to 180 degrees, so it opens all cans, it fits easily to the can’s side.
– Easy to clean. With the fact that the opener can open 180degrees it is much easier to clean and get rid of sauce build up in the difficult places to usually get to, eg. there where the wheel turns.
– Beautiful. I know this is probably not important, but to me it is, I love using my PRETTY can opener. I have a funky red one, it has a smooth design and even though can opening is not your most enjoyable job I enjoy it as I can use my KitchenAid opener!
– I have unfortunately found some cans that I struggle to open. It is as if the wheel slides over the top and then miss a part where it should have cut. I do however find that this does not happen often and the problem has not worsen over time, which makes me think the problem lies more with the can than the opener. If I compare this to previous openers I found the other got worse at a great speed. So I must unfortunately be true about my experience that I have had a few cans that struggled to open, but it was still so much easier than with other openers!
I would say I found this product great to use and will definitely give it a high rating and recommend it to anyone. Yes it is more expensive than your basic can opener, but not ridiculous in price, to me it was worth it.
Hope you found this product review informative.