Making your own Jalapeno (Chilli) poppers
I have previously promised to give a recipe for the best Jalapeno poppers when I wrote a post on our Jalapeno harvest. This one is delicious so give it a try!
You can find my post on our own Jalapeno harvest here.
What I like most about this recipe is that it is not deep-fried and you fold the Jalapeno into filo pastry not a fatty batter. It is extremely tasty and makes a great canapé or starter. Think wine and Jalapeno poppers with candlelight!
Jalapenos – cut in halves and seeds removed
1. Cut the Jalapenos in halves and remove the seeds.
2. Fill the halves with cream cheese.
3. Fold the Jalapenos in the square (of two layers) filo pastry like you would fold a gift (I cut the sheets of pastry in 4 and use one quarter of two layers per jalapeno half).
4. Melt butter and butter all sides of the popper.
5. Place in oven on 180 degrees Celsius for about 20min. You can put on grill to get crispy golden colour after a while (make sure you do not burn them. When we place it in our convection oven (most amazing product ever) it takes about 10 minutes on the grill setting.
6. Serve on a nice platter with a bit of sweet chilli sauce in a small bowl. You will dip the Jalapeno popper in the sweet chilli sauce before eating. (remember it will be very hot, so give it a few minutes to cool down)
PS: I got the platter as a gift and found out it is from the “Vanilla Concrete” Range, in that range this is from the “A Summer Poem” series. The Fenix is the company that manufactures these ceramics. You can find their online shop HERE. Don’t you just love the saying “the earth laughs in flowers”.