Delicious salad – remember you eat with your eyes as well!
It is winter in South Africa, it is cold and miserable – not salad weather. You would have seen my previous posts has been on delicious cakes and tarts oh so healthy 😉 I am feeling extremely guilty and decided it is time for a beautiful salad for a change.
I decided to go with your plain salad ingredients, salad leaves, tomatoes, feta, avocado and zoosh it up just a little bit to lift it from the plain boring old salad to a deliciously plain and beautiful plate of healthiness. I needed to do this for myself at least so that I can force myself to eat a salad in this cold weather as it just does not feel right.
Ingredients (you can add whatever you like, this is just for you to know what I used)
-Salad leaves – grown from our own garden. See HERE how to grow your own.
– Tomatoes – You can use your own – see HERE how to grow your own.
-Radishes (extra taste and something different)
-Yellow Pepper for extra colour – see HERE how you can grow your own
1. Wash all your ingredients.
2. Break your leaves to the size you like (I prefer not too small) and fill the base of your bowl.
3. Chop the rest of your ingredients (I prefer more chunky sizes as they don’t go mush so easily and presents more beautifully).
4. Add your topping – I added sprouts to both salads. To the one salad I also added some onion seeds (it looks like black sesame seeds). I also like to add mixed seeds, but did not for these two salads.
5. Salt and pepper to your taste. I like serving my salad clean with no oils or dressings, as I don’t like a juicy / saucy salad soaked through and believe everyone can add the dressing themselves if they prefer it. Much easier to add than to remove..
6. Remember to use a beautiful bowl! And spoons.
I did not take a decent picture of the square glass bowl I used so do excuse, but you are only getting a close-up of the salad itself. The white bowl I used is great for a salad, it is flat, so you can spread your ingredients out and no-one ends up digging through the salad to find that one feta of avocado piece they want. I also love the writing on the bowl as well as the picture which you cannot see as the salad covers it, it makes for a great surprise when you reach the bottom. This bowl had hummingbirds on the bottom. The saying “The Earth laughs in Flowers” Love it! The bowl is from Vanilla Concrete Ceramics, the “a summer poem” range.
I hope you enjoyed the post on ‘upping’ a plain salad to something beautifully delicious. I truly believe we eat with our eyes and must try and make every (no matter how plain) meal as beautiful as possible. The easiest way possible is by using different and striking crockery. Use different placemats every once in a while and look for beautiful yet unique ones. Look for pretty utensils like the serving spoons. Then lastly but not least, add something extra/different/special to your dish, like the sprouts and onion seeds in this case or the radishes for a different taste, without it the salad would have had less texture and colour and would have seemed a lot more plain and probably more boring and less appetizing.
To eating with our eyes!