Vanilla cupcake recipe with Lemon buttercream icing
A cupcake is a cupcake is a cupcake… says who? We (both my husband and myself) have recently celebrated many birthdays at work and I must say, we are OVER cupcakes. But. We had these (vanilla with lemon buttercream) again and got reminded how tasty and what a treat a cupcake can be. The rest of the post will follow with the recipe.
I remember numerous birthday parties with trays of white cupcakes decorated with the most delicious lemon buttercream icing. It is a surprise when you bite into the soft cake to taste the buttercream icing with a hint of lemon, not your usual over-sweet frosting. It turns the sugar levels down quite a notch which I find satisfying. I am not sure where my mother got this recipe, but I am definitely keeping on to it. It is easy to make and always a crowd pleaser. I can imagine many children parties with these as a treat.
Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 1 and a 1∕3 cups of sugar
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- a pinch of salt
- Zest of a lemon
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Spray your muffin/cupcake pan with a type of spray and cook, add cupcake paper cups. By spraying as well you ensure non-stick, should the cupcake mixture spill.
- Whisk 4 eggs and 1 and 1∕3rd cup of sugar until creamy.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil and 1 cup of milk, add this to the egg mixture.
- Add 2 cups of flour. It is always best to sieve your dry ingredients when baking.
- Add 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Add some of the zest of the lemon (the rest will be used in the icing sugar). Make sure when you zest the lemon to chop the strings shorter, it is less pleasant ending up with a long string of lemon in your mouth.
- Add the mixture to the cupcake pan, fill to half full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 180˚C. You will know it is ready when you start to smell the cupcakes. Take a baking pin and stick it into the centre of the cupcake, if it comes out dry your cupcakes are ready.
Lemon Buttercream Recipe
- 300g icing sugar
- 160g butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- about 2 tbsp milk
- lemon zest
- Whisk the butter and icing sugar until creamy.
- Add a bit of vanilla essence.
- If the frosting is not smooth enough add a bit of milk.
- Add lemon zest.
- Make sure to taste and approve before you start to frost your cupcakes.
- You can either just use a knife if you are in a hurry and smoothly add the icing, otherwise you can use frosting couplers.
Make sure to only frost the cupcakes once they have cooled down, otherwise you will end up with a melting mess. The cupcakes stay fresh for a few days in an airtight container. You can even freeze them. They are best fresh – naturally.
You can decide how you want to decorate the cupcakes or should I call them fairy cakes as I read somewhere. I like to keep these simple and let the lemon be a pleasant surprise.