The perfect popcorn recipe
This is the perfect – fail proof – popcorn recipe. What more do you want than a quick recipe popping all of the kernels and not burning a single one? Just add some salt or butter and voila there you go – perfection.
I know, it is probably a little strange doing a post on something as plain and not ‘fancy’ as popcorn. BUT. Have you ever tried to make popcorn and it just do not come out right. Either you nearly break your teeth on the hard un-popped kernels. Or it burns black. Or it comes out soggy. Popcorn is one of the simple things in life and I get a kick out of this recipe knowing it comes out perfect every time.
It was passed on by a friend, so I do not have the original link or resource.
POPCORN – fills a big bowl (enough for 2 – 4) (or 1 if you like gulping popcorn during a movie) takes about 5min.
– 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
– 3 tablespoons cooking oil
– a bit of salt
– butter – if you want to add butter to your popcorn – I do not do this
1. Heat your pot (it must have a lid) over medium heat (I used a medium size, large also good, you do not want a too small pot as your popcorn will be squashed and moist)
2. Add the 3 tablespoons of cooking oil and add 3 popcorn kernels. Cover with lid
3. Once all 3 the kernels popped add the rest of the 1/3 cup of kernels. Remove the pot from heat (keep lid on) and ‘swish’ it around to make sure all kernels are touched by warm oil. Keep it off the heat for exactly 30 seconds. This will help the kernels to all reach the same temperature, when it gets placed on the heat again they will start popping together, remember to keep the lid on otherwise you have popcorn flying everywhere.
4. Place pot back on heat with lid still on. Move it around so popcorn moves and does not stay at bottom laying in the oil getting soggy.
5. All popcorn will start popping pretty much at once. When you can count 5 seconds without hearing a pop your popcorn is done. Remove from heat. Add salt to taste. You can add melted butter if you like, I prefer skipping this.
That is it, easy and perfect. And what smells greater than freshly popped popcorn? This is a sure hit during movie time!